Municipalities in Ontario use Development Charges (DCs) to recover growth related capital costs associated with residential and non-residential growth. In accordance with the Development Charges Act, DCs are collected at the building permit stage to help the municipality pay for municipal services needed to support the new development. These services include, water, wastewater, emergency services, roads and more.

When do you need to pay development charges?

When planning a development project in the Town of East Gwillimbury, you may be required to pay development fees to the municipality for any residential or non-residential development if you are performing any of the following actions:

  • Erecting a new building or multiple buildings
  • Making an addition or alteration to an existing building which increases the floor area or number of units
  • Redeveloping a property or multiple properties which result in change of use

Development charges from York Region and area School boards

The Town also collects development charges on behalf of York Region, York Catholic District School Board and York Region District School Board. Each jurisdiction is responsible for setting the rates of its own development charges, indexing and exemption determinations.